The Western Australian Olympic Council (WAOC) was established in 1947, playing a vital role in raising funds to support WA athletes selected to compete in the 1948 Olympic Games in London.
The WAOC operated on an honorary basis until 1991 when a part-time Secretary-General was appointed and a joint office established with the WA Division of the Australian Commonwealth Games Association.
This joint operating structure, which is endorsed by the AOC, the ACGA and the State Government, has proven to be a highly successful method of maximising outcomes for minimal cost and maximum administrative efficiency and is an integral part of the State Sporting system in Western Australia. This joint office is funded by the AOC, the ACGA/WA and the State Government of Western Australia and office space is generously provided by Westpac at no charge.
As the peak body for the Olympic Movement in Western Australian and the State Office of the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC), the WAOC manages activities that focus on generating an acceptance of the Olympic Movement and Olympism into our West Australian community, whilst showing support for WA athletes that strive to achieve the ultimate goal of representing Australia with distinction at the world’s most prestigious sports festival, The Olympic Games.
The WAOC facilitates the promotion of these outstanding young role models to the wider community (corporate, government, youth, charity, schools) allowing them to share their ideals of fair play and teamwork and motivating our youth to be healthy in mind and body. Over the last four Olympiads, the WAOC has contributed nearly $2 million to the National Appeal, generated through contributions from the State Government and a key fundraising program.
The programs, roles and responsibilities of the WAOC are numerous and varied and include:
- Manage the Olympic Fundraising Appeal.
- Promote the fundamental principles of Olympism within the framework of Sports and actively and otherwise contribute to the dissemination of Olympism.
- Liaise with Education authorities and Sporting Associations concerning the Olympic Movement and provide Olympic educational material when required.
- Facilitate opportunities for West Australians to participate in AOC and IOC Academies and Camps.
- Ensure that WA’s Olympians are active within the community.
- Provide information to State and Local Government authorities and key sporting bodies on WA athletes’ participation in Olympic Games.
- Manage the WA “Send Off” & “Welcome Home” Olympic Team Celebrations Manage the Olympians & Paralympians Walkway.
- Manage the Winter Strickland Medal
- Provide administrative and personnel support to the Olympians Club of WA.
- Manage OCWA programs/events in WA.
- Maintain an accurate record of Western Australia’s participation at Olympic Games, which is to be used as the “Official” WA record for historical and statistical purposes.
- Public and media information source.
- Promotion and protection of the Olympic Brand within WA.
- Support the Aspire Career Assistance for Olympians Program.
- Support the Olympic Communicators Program.
- Support the AOC in the delivery of information to 2008 Team Members and their families.
- Presentation of IOC Pins.
- On behalf of the AOC, manage Team Selection Announcements occurring in WA.
- Support the AOC in the maintenance of the National database.