Mornington 2015 Active Youth Development Program
Olympians coach students in Mornington …
APRIL 22, 2015 - With the Rio 2016 Olympic Games less than 18 months away, up to 300 secondary school students from the Mornington Peninsula region participated in a once in a life time opportunity, being coached by Olympians.
The Active Youth Development Program is funded by Sport and Recreation Victoria and will be hosted at Mornington Secondary College. Local schools involved in the program include Padua Catholic College, Dromana Secondary College and Western Port Secondary College.
Nine Olympians from five different sports were in attendance on the day. The sports include athletics, basketball, swimming, volleyball, and rugby 7’s, which has been added to the Olympic programme for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Tom English, from the Melbourne Rebels, represented Rugby which was well received by the students.
Each student was coached in their preferred sport, coming away with a special tip from an Olympian that they will cherish for life, and may provide that little extra something to motivate them to strive to achieve their own sporting dreams.
Olympians in attendance:
- Mark Bradtke - 2000, 1996, 1992, 1988 Basketball
- Luke Campbell - 2008, 2004 Volleyball
- Lara Davenport OAM - 2008 Swimming
- Linley Frame - 1992 Swimming
- Tasmin Hinchley - 2012, 2008 Beach Volleyball, 2000 Volleyball
- Belinda Hocking - 2012, 2008 Swimming
- Allison Tranquilli - 2004 Silver, 1996, Bronze Medallist Basketball
- Kyle Vander-Kuyp - 2000, 1996 Athletics
- Trevor Vincent OAM - 1964 Athletics
Local Club Contacts: