Teacher Resource Latch On
A very important part of the QOC's charter is the focus on education – both with the community and the school system. This is a means of diffusing to the public the spirit of the Olympic movement, its ideals and philosophy.
The Queensland Olympic Council also supports both Primary and Secondary Schools by assisting to arrange for Olympians to attend school speech nights, sports awards, school assemblies and general school visits throughout Queensland. Our Olympic athletes are seen as heroes by these children and act as wonderful role models for our future Olympic Champions. The main education initiatives include the Latch On program, detailed below, and the Pierre de Coubertin Awards>>>
The QOC is currently involved in The Latch On program which is designed to effectively promote and connect secondary school students with low literacy skills; special school populations, young adults and adults with intellectual disabilities with the Olympic Movement.
Olympic Resource for Teachers
Introducing an educational resource designed for students with high support needs in literacy themed around the Olympic/Paralympic ideals.
The aims of the resource are to:
- Develop literacy skills
- Promote and increase awareness of the Olympic/Paralympic Movement and its ideals
- Promote and increase awareness about the importance of physical fitness and healthy life choices
- Promote social and community participation
The resource comprises four modules. There is an introductory activity and four suggested teaching activities in each module. These modules have been designed so that teachers can sequence the activities around their term times and the timing of the Olympic/Paralympic Games in any year.
What you get:
- Teacher’s manual that outlines lesson plans, student worksheets - hard and electronic copy included
- 4 student reading books (Ancient Olympics, Summer Olympics, Paralympics and Winter Olympics)
- 4 starter books for emergent readers, and
- DVD with interviews with 5 Olympians/Paralympian
The Latch On Resource is now available to purchase.
Only $198 (inc GST) and includes:
- Teacher's Guide, including student worksheets and more,
- 4 x Student Readers and 4 x Starter Texts (Ancient Olympics, Summer Olympics, Paralympics and Winter Olympics),
- 4 x Core Module books with Scaffolds, and
- DVD with 5 Olympian/Paralympian interviews
Simply download and complete the Order Form.
Explore the rich resources available for students and teachers as part of the Australian Olympic Committee Eduction Program. Information on Chat to a Champ, lesson plans and more can be found here.