Unveiling of London 2012 Olympian’s Names at the Illawarra Olympic Tribute Wall6 June 2013
NSWOC: The names of ten Olympians from the 2012 Australian Olympic Team were added to the Illawarra Olympic Wall at a ceremony in Wollongong’s Lang Park today.
K4 Olympic Gold Medallist David Smith (Lake Illawarra) was joined by Olympic swimmers David McKeon (Mt Kembla) and Jarrod Poort (Warilla) at the ceremony.
Casey Eastham (Hockey, Albion Park), Kieran Govers (Hockey Bronze Medallist, Keiraville), Ryan Gregson (Athletics, Wollongong) Alicia McCormack (Water Polo Bronze Medallist, Helensburgh) Megan Rivers (Hockey, Bowral), Glenn Turner (Hockey Bronze Medallist, Bowral) and Aidan Zingel (Volleyball, Kiama Downs) were also added but were unable to make the ceremony.
Earlier, the Vice President of the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC), Ms Helen Brownlee OAM thanked the Illawarra’s businesses and community at large for their generous support of the Australian Olympic Team. On 13 March 2012 the Illawarra held a prestigious Team Appeal Event for London at the Grand Ballroom Novotel Northbeach which raised over $50,000.
The Chair of the Illawarra’s Team Appeal Committee, Gareth McKeen said: “The Illawarra has a very proud sporting tradition and the Olympic wall is testimony to this and testimony to the community spirit in the region and the collective pride we share in the achievements of our Olympians. The Olympic Games is a highly significant world event and it is fantastic to see Illawarra athletes on this world stage”
Names etched in the Olympic Wall reveal the significant contribution to the Olympic Movement which the Illawarra has made.
Statistics of Illawarra Athletes participation at the Olympic Games:
- 84 Olympians are represented 114 times (some Olympians attended multiple Games).
- Illawarra Olympians have attending consecutive Olympic Games from Amsterdam 1928 through to London 2012.
- 20 Summer sports and four Winter sports represented.
- 25 females and 59 males.
Most number of entries:
- Don Tolhurst, Shooting, 4 Olympic Games; Melbourne 1956, Rome 1960, Tokyo 1964, and Mexico City 1968
- Kerryn McCann, Athletics – 3 Olympic Games; Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000 Athens 2004
- Louise McPaul (Currey), Athletics - 3 Olympic Games; Barcelona 1992, Atlanta 1996 and Sydney 2000
Interestingly, the Illawarra was represented by two Olympians in London 1948 Olympic Games, compared with ten in 2012.
Australia completed the London 2012 Olympic Games 7th on the Overall Medal Tally and 10th on the Gold Medal Tally including 7 Gold Medals, 16 Silver Medals and 12 Bronze Medals.
NSW Olympic Council