No cause for concern as top wrestlers beaten ahead of Worlds
28 July 2015
WRESTLING: Wrestling Australia is confident of a bold showing at September’s World Championships, despite two of the three athletes chosen to compete at the event losing at the Australia Cup in Canberra on the weekend.
74kg wrestler Talgat Ilyasov, who was selected to compete at the 2004 Athens Olympics but had to withdraw on Games eve because of a back injury, was beaten by New South Wales wrestler, Mohammadreza Ashouri.
And Scottish born Connor Evans was beaten by another New South Welshman, Daniel Sadecku, in the final of the 86kg division.
Wrestling Australia high performance manager, Alan Landy, said although the results were unexpected, he’s not worried.
“It’s part of the peaking process as far as I’m concerned,” Landy said.
“I’m not too concerned about that. There’s always a bit of a letdown after a major event, and they were given a couple of weeks off after the Canada Cup.
“This was one of their first events in trying to peak again for the World Championships. I’m sure they’ll be at their best at the Worlds.”
Ilyasov, who has been coaxed out of retirement to pursue his dream of going to an Olympics, was disappointed but not disillusioned by the result.
“My results could have been better, my opponent was better prepared,” Ilyasov said.
“I wasn’t 100 per cent. I’m supposed to win these types of competitions, but I am concentrating on the Worlds so this is just a stepping stone.”
Ilyasov was undefeated at last month’s prestigious Canada Cup in North America, underling his potential at an International level.
But he concedes he is now ten years older than when he last tried to get to the Olympics.
“It takes a little longer to recover,” he said.
“The Canada Cup gave me an insight into what the world level is like now.
The way I wrestled there, I need to do a lot of work yet – especially with my finess.”
The 2015 Wrestling World Championships will be held in Las Vegas from September 7 to the 12th.
Joining Ilyasov and Evans at the event will be two-time former Albanian wrestler, Sahit Prizremi, who will be competing for Australia for the first time at a major international event.