• Home
  • News
  • New hope to add 3-on-3 basketball at Rio

New hope to add 3-on-3 basketball at Rio

30 January 2014

The international basketball federation has renewed hope the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics could stage its street-inspired 3-on-3 game.

The 3-on-3 game was first staged at an Olympic level at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games in Singapore. 

Reports in Brazil suggest new medal events could yet be added after IOC President Thomas Bach visited last week.

FIBA secretary general Patrick Baumann told the Associated Press "if this matter is re-opened, 3-on-3 is ready".

The half-court version of basketball was favoured to debut at the Rio Olympics until the IOC leadership closed a program review last July.

That unexpected decision followed widespread protests against Brazil's government and FIFA during the Confederations Cup tournament.

Baumann says 3-on-3 fits "extremely well" with Rio's urban street culture.

However, he cautions: "the Brazilian press said that there is an opportunity, not the IOC. There is a bit of a difference."

AAP

Related News

Olympians inspire NSW Pierre de Coubertin recipients

Olympians inspire NSW Pierre de Coubertin recipients

23 September 2016

90 New South Wales secondary students have received the Pierre de Coubertin award today.

Weekend wrap - Monday 13 July

Weekend wrap - Monday 13 July

13 July 2015

Plenty of Aussies have been in fine form around the globe in what was a busy, yet successful weekend of sport!

Aussie Fox helps shape Agenda 2020

Aussie Fox helps shape Agenda 2020

19 November 2014

IOC: Australian Olympic kayaker Jessica Fox has played a part in the launch of Agenda 2020- the International Olympic Committee’s road map for the future of the Games.

Related Games

Rio 2016

Rio 2016

Related Sports

Basketball

Basketball