Matthews to lead Aussie charge at Road World Champs
5 September 2017
CYCLING -ROAD: 2017 Tour de France green jersey winner and 2015 road race silver medallist Michael Matthews (ACT) will spearhead the Australian Cycling Team at the 2017 UCI Road World Championships in Bergen, Norway.
Cycling Australia CEO Nicholas Green OAM said that he was excited by the team’s prospects.
“This is certainly a team that has the strength and depth to challenge for the podium in Norway and we wish them the very best for race day.”
A supremely experienced team featuring Mathew Hayman (ACT), Luke Durbridge (WA), Simon Clarke (VIC), Rory Sutherland (ACT), Heinrich Haussler (NSW), Mitchell Docker (VIC) and Jay McCarthy (QLD) will bolster Australia’s charge at the men’s road race rainbow jersey.
Fresh off his maiden World Tour stage win, Jack Haig (VIC) will make his elite debut in the road race, while Rohan Dennis (SA) will contest the time trial following a strong season with wins against the clock at the National Championships, Tirreno-Adriatico and the Tour de Suisse.
The women’s team is littered with a number of opportunists headlined by reigning national time trial and road race champion Katrin Garfoot (QLD) who will contest both the time trial and road races having won time trial bronze a year ago.
Dual national champions Gracie Elvin (ACT) and Amanda Spratt (NSW) have both enjoyed strong seasons with Elvin finishing second at the Tour of Flanders and Spratt top ten at the Giro Rosa.
Sarah Roy (NSW) returns after a breakthrough season including a World Tour win with London Olympian Shara Gillow (QLD) returning to round out the five-member women’s team.
“These selections are all made with performance perspectives in mind,” said High Performance Director Simon Jones. “We have good chances in both the elite men's and women races.
“The men's team is focused on providing Michael Matthews 100% commitment in the road race and we believe we have prioritised selections to ensure the best possible outcome on race day.
“Also in the time trial, I'm looking forward to seeing how Rohan and Katrin performs, as they are both strong contenders who are no doubt hungry for success.
“In the women's selections, the selected riders have proved themselves throughout 2017 and we are confident they will be in the mix to get near the podium,” added Jones.
The five-rider, Under 23 team is headed by Lucas Hamilton (VIC) who won the Tour Alsace, finished second at the under 23 Giro and fourth at the Tour de l’Avenir.
Also returning is Jai Hindley (WA) with five general classification top 10 finishes along with Michael Storer (WA) and Robert Stannard (NSW) who will line up for the first time.
Reigning U23 national time trial champion Callum Scotson (SA) will contest both the race against the clock and the road race.
Announced earlier in August was the Under 19 trio of Madeleine Fasnacht (TAS), Sebastian Berwick (QLD), and Mitchell Wright, (NSW) who will each contest the road race and time trial at the Championships.
The 2017 UCI Road World Championships will be held in Bergen, Norway from September 16-24. More information: bergen2017.no
Australian Cycling Team
- Simon CLARKE (VIC) Cannondale Drapac/Carnegie Caulfield CC
- Rohan DENNIS^ (SA) BMC Racing Team/Adelaide CC
- Mitchell DOCKER (VIC) Orica-Scott/Brunswick CC
- Luke DURBRIDGE (WA) Orica-Scott /Midland CC
- Jack HAIG (VIC) Orica-Scott/Bendigo & District CC
- Heinrich HAUSSLER (NSW) Bahrain–Merida/Inverell CC
- Mathew HAYMAN (ACT) Orica-Scott /Canberra CC
- Michael MATTHEWS (ACT) Team Sunweb/Tuggeranong Vikings CC
- Jay McCARTHY (QLD) Bora-Hansgrohe/Fraser Coast CC
- Rory SUTHERLAND (ACT) Movistar
- Gracie ELVIN (ACT) Orica-Scott/Canberra CC
- Katrin GARFOOT* (QLD) Orica-Scott/Gold Coast CC
- Shara GILLOW (QLD) FDJ/Sunshine Coast CC
- Sarah ROY (NSW) Orica-Scott/Sydney Uni Velo Club
- Amanda SPRATT (NSW) Orica-Scott/Penrith CC
Under 23 Men
- Lucas HAMILTON (VIC) Mitchelton-Scott/Ararat & District CC
- Jai HINDLEY (WA) Mitchelton-Scott/Midland CC
- Callum SCOTSON* (SA) BMC Racing/Port Adelaide C
- Robert STANNARD (NSW) Mitchelton-Scott/Manly Warringah CC
- Michael STORER (WA) Mitchelton-Scott/Midland CC
Under 19 (announced earlier in August)
- Madeleine FASNACHT (TAS) TIS Racing/Hobart Wheelers CC*
- Sebastian BERWICK (QLD)/St George CC*
- Mitchell WRIGHT (NSW) Mobius Future Racing/Illawarra CC*
^ Time Trial only * Time Trial & Road Race