6 things you didn't know about Rohan Chapman-Davies
16 June 2017
MOGULS: Rohan Chapman-Davies represented Australia in his first international moguls event in 2008 as a 16-year-old. Now, almost 10 years later and ranked in the top 30 in the world, the skier from Mosman, NSW is looking to make his Olympic debut in 2018.
Get to know your PyeongChang hopeful mogul skier with these 6 fun facts:
1. I started skiing when I was four-years-old. I was very lucky that my family holidays were always to the ski fields as opposed to the summer locations of most other Australian families. Starting so young means I don't actually recall the learning phase, so have always felt very comfortable and confident on skis and snow.
Rohan (middle) at the snow with brothers Adrian (right) and Ashley (left).
2. I have three siblings. Yes, we all ski, but my older sister Emma and I were the only ones to follow the elite pathway. Emma had an unfortunate run of bad injuries resulting in her early retirement from the sport. She skied at the World Cup level.
3. I was a Ben Lexcen Scholarship holder at UNSW. This is an achievement I am extremely proud of considering the calibre of both athletes and students at the University. UNSW was incredibly supportive, enabling me to pursue both my skiing career and professional career simultaneously.
Rohan (center) with mum (Gina) and dad (Anthony) at the UNSW Blues dinner in 2015
4. I work as a Tax Associate at Ellice-Flint & Co. - a boutique financial firm in Sydney's CBD. My boss, Ross Ellice-Flint, is a fellow sports enthusiast and incredibly supportive of my skiing career. He has allowed me to gain valuable professional experience, whilst accomodating the chaotic timetable of an elite athlete.
Ross Ellice-Flint and Rohan at the Ellice-Flint & Co. offices in Sydney's CBD
5. I have surfed on Lake Jindabyne. When a vicious low pressure system moved through the snowy mountains in July 2014, the winds were strong enough that they created a wind swell on the lake big enough to surf. I can say with confidence this is the coldest I have ever been in my life!
Surfing Lake Jindabyne
6. Everyday I draw inspiration from my mum who is a passionate athlete herself. After beating breast cancer in 2005 she has since run a host of marathons including Boston, New York, London, Berlin and Chicago. Whenever possible, I take the opportunity to either watch her compete or compete alongside her!
Rohan and his mum running the Mosman Mini Mos Fun Run